When I lived in Ballard........I was super spoiled by the fact that I had a wealth of yoga studios available to me at a relatively close distance. I could "studio-hop" whenever I wanted.......could find classes any day of the week at different times during the day and I have to say it was heavenly. Yoga is such a peaceful place for me.......my practice centers me, the poses strengthen me inside and out and I have been blessed with some great teachers along the way. I have been practicing yoga for about ten years.......and have never found anything that makes me feel as "mindful" and as "present" as I do on my mat. It is that feeling, when you get slapped in the face by something and you go: Oh my gosh, this is me. This feels right. Nothing else is even remotely important right now......that's how yoga makes me feel.
My favorite yoga teacher is Denise Carrico, which I have known for years, but only take her class when I can. She teaches a faithful community of followers at the South Campus Center at UW through the Experimental College. I was introduced to her by my good friend and yoga buddy, Erin back in 2008? We have done some inspiring and invigorating 'Grace and Gratitude' retreats with her at a place called Harmony Hill over the years and her teachings have been more spiritual than physical for me. She is an amazing woman...... Erin loves Denise SO much, that she asked her to be the officiant at her wedding. That's how much she changes your life!
Anyhoo, since the move to Federal Way this fall....I have not been able to take Denise's class due to time and distance. My nights are so jammed packed with responsibility and time reserved for my family that I decided to give up the evening yoga classes for a while. I have also tried a few yoga studios in my new neighborhood.....but the classes offered are either too hot, as in "Bikram yoga" hot, which let me tell you make me more stressed than zen, or don't fit in with my schedule given my commute from Seattle. I really enjoyed Three Trees Yoga studio, and loved the few classes I attended there. The weekends are the time to do it, and I often have commitments that again, don't allow me to fit the classes in that I want.
ENTER Yogaglo. My new favorite website. For $18/month, three dollars more than the average 90 minute class.....you get unlimited classes from some amazing yoga teachers all in the comfort of you own home. Yup, you heard that right. At any time of the day, I can bring my lap top to the bonus room, where I keep my yoga mats and blocks, light a candle, and do yoga through the virtual world of the internet in different styles, levels and instructors. What a God send! Of course, it is important to still take classes once in a while b/c you want to make sure you're alignment and things are still correct......but for those of us busy mommas who only have time when we have time, this is a great way to quiet the mind, invite stillness into our hearts (when life seems to be going 90 miles/hour) and let go of the tension and the stress in our muscles.
Elena Brower is on my "favorite" list.......her classes are tough but I love what she has to say with every posture. Dice and Jo deliver some amazing vinyasa flow classes and from time to time, I can use a good restorative session with Felicia or Noah. Classes are taped every day/week and uploaded to keep the variety. Classes are taped in California and are FREE to those who take it live. I have been looking for my friend Nicole who lives there and often attends, but have yet to find her on my screen.
For now.......this is how I am keeping my passion for yoga alive. Someday, I hope that I can keep growing my practice and even go on to teach yoga......that is a dream that I hope to accomplish. Kinda hard to this while raising a toddler, but I am not giving up hope for the future. Anything is possible!

No comments:
Post a Comment